Our NAPLNourish program for teachers puts Physical Literacy in Action by recognizing and honoring the value of all teachers. We want teachers to see that taking care of themselves as not “another thing I have to do” but as the most important thing they “get to do”.
Teachers who take part in our program report it as “incredibly transformative” and “life-changing”.
- Forty-six percent of teachers report high daily stress, which compromises their health, sleep, quality of life, and teaching performance.
- When teachers are highly stressed, students show lower levels of both social adjustment and academic performance.
- Interventions on the organizational or individual level, or those that reach both, can help reduce teacher stress by changing the culture and approach to teaching.
- Programs for mentoring, workplace wellness, social emotional learning, and mindfulness are all proven to improve teacher well-being and student outcomes.
The NAPL Solution
- We begin and end with mindfulness-during this wellness workshop for teachers and we highlight the need for Resilience.
- Over the course of a 1 day training, teachers will learn the 8 fundamentals of physical literacy. Mindfulness, nutrition and resilience are the key building blocks to wellness.
- Resilience is the ability to bounce back from adversity. We take it one step further to teach adults that not only should they bounce back they should bounce forward. This concept is taught and learned through active game play which teachers have the opportunity to put into action.
- Physical activity involves using movement and motor skills throughout a lifetime.
- Efficient movement improves performance.
- Positive decision making about fitness and nutrition contributes to a healthy lifestyle.
- Physical activity, sports, dance and/or rhythms can provide opportunities for personal enjoyment, self‐expression, challenge, and social interaction.
- Physical activity contributes to building and maintaining a fitness level to enable one to participate in activities of daily living for a lifetime.